2.20.2006

Teh Uber-Geeky Box of D00m

Last night I was fed up with having to deal with all the cables for my computer, plugging them in every time I moved from my room to the computer lab, etc. SoI took some supplies up to David Six's room, where he had that staple of geeky projects....
(heavenly chorus please)

DUCT TAPE

...along with some helpful advice.
I took a small box, about 6x8x10 inches, and put my 250GB External HD in there, along with its power and data cords. I then put in my laptop's power cord, and my wireless mouse dock, along with its data cable and charger. Then I put in the charger for my iPod, and cut out a long square on the top of the box, and duct-taped a power strip upside down on top of it, and plugged the 4 power cords in from the bottom. Then I cut a small rectangle out of the bottom of one side of the box, and pulled the data cables and power cord for my laptop and iPod out of it, after taping them inside to the box, so they wouldn't come out to far. Then I covered the box with duct tape (for that uber-cool geeky look), and fashioned a handle out of a few peices of cardboard (for support in the middle) and more duct tape (which truely does have 1001 uses). Then I made it tso that the top of the box can be secured with a couple flaps of duct tape, and then created a pocket on the side for my iPod, with a slit in the bottom so that it can charge while resting there. I then made another small flap of tape on the side to hold my earbuds nicely when they're not being used, so they don't tangle. I was also able to fit a mini USB light and my iPod data cable inside, and poked a small hole in one side so that my HD's blue LED shines out.

And so it was done.
I'm quite happy with it so far, it saves alot of time and hassle, and was quite fun to make.
And it gets some interesting comments too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lost me - too many sentences begin with the same word. Who taught you to write?
;)

Mom

Multissimus Mei said...

Yes, duct tape is very nice.
.
.
.
and for teh win.
.
.
.
speaking of which, you owe me a roll. ;D