7.27.2005

Wasp Bites and Rooftops

I worked for my grandpa today, as I do every Wednesday. I was filling a large compost bag with some laeves and stuff outside when I felt a sharp pain in my right forearm, then heard a slight buzzing, . I thought to myself, "Oh, drat, a sting...maybe a bee one." But when I went inside, there wasn't any stinger, so I got lucky, it was just a wasp sting. I put some baking soda mixed with water one it, and it didn't swell too much at all, and by late afternoon I can hardly feel the pain at all.
The last time I was stung was when I was 5 or 6 at the large "fort" my dad built at our last house. I remember it very distinctly, having the wasp crawling up my leg, then it stung me right before it went up my short. Now I could understand that sting, because I kinda tried to shake it off, because I didn't really want it going up any further.
but this time, I didn't even hear it or feel it land or do anything to provoke it before it stung me.
So I now hate all wasps and stinging insects even more.
They will feel my wrath.
(more on that later)

I also decided today that rooftops are very cool places. I was putting in gutter guards for my grandfather earlier today on his roof, and it was just a very nice seculded private place, yet very open to nature. It was very nice, and the moss growths covering some of the wodden shingles were quite coo. i wish I had had my camera, they looked like cool little alien planets.

Later my grandparents took me out to lunch (a regular perk) and we ate on a rooftop, which was quite cool. The view wasn't spectacular, as downtown Deerfield isn't that much to see, but at it was only in the low 80s, and there was quite a nice breeze blowing across the rooftop, it was quite comfortable, and kindof fun to look down on the pedestrians and cars wending their ways through the streets below.
During the course of the meal, I had almost finished my bottle of IBC Root Beer (one of the best kinds) when a wasp, battling the breeze, alighted upon it and began to crawl inside, hoping to drink some of the precious liquid. As there was only a little bit left, I seied my opportunity at revenge, and clapped the cap on the bottle. I let him bu around inside for awhile, then I shook it up, coating him in sticky soda. He only made a few more feeble attempts as buing, and crawled around looking mad and sticky. I laughed maniaclyl at his pathetic plight. MWAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Anyways, rooftops also reminded me of Mary Poppins, which had a great rooftops scene. I always loved the chimney sweeps popping out of the chimneys, and then lighting off all the fireworks and dancing through them. That was really cool.

No comments: